Saturday, November 1, 2014

Who's on First? Abbott and Costello

Something New...

So this week I did something new to introduce my next topic.  So the main standard I am teaching is RL 8.3 (analyze dialogue and how propels actions) and RL 8.6 (analyze how different points of view create humor).

I love both of these standards and was super excited to introduce this unit.  In order to introduce this unit, I used a classic:  "Who's on First".  This was a perfect and fun introduction because it clearly shows students how different POVs (Abbott, Costello, and the audience) create humor and how dialogue propels actions and causes characters to act.

The activity was so successful.  I began by focusing our time with focused questions (you know how I love questions):

  • How do the different points of view create humor?
  • How does dialogue propel the action?
  • How does dialogue cause a character to act?
Then we listened to the skit, the students created a tree map that showed the different points of view and then I had them frame it up with the questions above using a Google Form.  I LOVE google forms!

This was a great activity and reminded me of my Grandpa.  This was his favorite skit!  He is the one who introduced it to me and I remember laughing with him and discussing it with him.  A very sweet memory and I love bringing that to my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment