Monday, March 30, 2015

Doctopus and Goobric

Okay so it has been a while and that has discouraged me from posting.  I have had a lot going on in my personal life (I'm pregnant with Baby #3) and have been so tired, but I know this is important.  So here I am!

A lot has happened in the last three months in my classroom, but I am just going to share with you the two items that I feel have most shapped the basics of my teaching.  I LOVE Doctopus and Goobric.  Now, I am telling you right now Doctopus and Goobric are not for the faint of heart.  There is a huge learning curve, but once implemented and understood, they build accountability, collaboration, and amazing teacher-student feedback!

So, what is Doctopus

A Google Forms add-on that

  • Pushes documents out to students (make a copy for each student that now becomes their own).
  • Will put students in groups and distribute one document to each group and automatically share it with you and each person in the group
  • Creates a Class-View folder where you can place documents, slides, pdfs, etc and all students can access to view it (not edit it)
  • Gives a spreadsheet with all student names and links to each of their documents for quick access

That in and of itself is amazing but when you add Goobric in, it gets even better!

Goobric is a Chrome Extension that

  • Attaches a rubric to a Google Doc that you have distributed to students
  • Gives teachers an easy and quick way to assess students
  • Sends instant feedback to the student, including rubric score and comments
  • Places the completed rubric on the doc itself and sends an email with the rubric to inform students
  • Allows teachers to record their feedback and send that back to students
  • Easily puts rubric scores into a spreadsheet that allows for quick grading



Now, I understand when discussing SAMR, that these two resources don't move you too far up the SAMR scale, but what I have realized is that they have built into my classroom a sense of accountability, understanding, communication, and collaboration.  From this foundation, I have found that I can easily build in the creativity and truly modify my curriculum.




No comments:

Post a Comment