Monday, September 1, 2014

To group or not group....that is the question!

I went in to school today to set up my classroom.  I have generally always set up my classroom in groups of either three (with two people there is NOT enough information to share, with four people there is TOO much information to share).  This year I have decided to try something...


NEW

I have an array of different groupings.  I mostly have groups of three, but splattered throughout the class I have partners and a few single desks.  On the first day of school, I am going to have my students take a survey to assess the BEST learning environment for them and then try to place them in the best spot possible for THEM and THEIR learning needs.

Some of my concerns...

  • We do so MUCH collaboration that students in single desks need to be able to access others.  So when NOT doing collaborative work, they sit by themselves, but when it is time to work together, they will have to move and join a group.
  • Will any of them want to be by themselves??
  • I have to be aware of the partners I put together (ability, friendship etc...)
I'll let you know how it goes!

Here is a video to a very effective collaborative activity easy to use when in groups of three (taken from the Teaching Channel):

No comments:

Post a Comment